Whole Home vs Portable Generators
When it comes to convenience, whole-house generators are the way to go. Unlike portable generators, whole-house generators automatically kick on when the power goes out. Portable generators often require the person to go outside in the elements to turn them on. There are several factors to consider when purchasing a whole-house or portable home generator, start here. We will outline the pros and cons of each.
Pros and Cons to Whole-Home Generators
Whole-house generators provide backup power for the entire house, including the furnace, air conditioner, refrigerator, lights, and more. They are permanently installed and typically run on natural gas or propane.
- Automatic start – when the power goes out, the generator kicks on and provides backup power to the entire house. No need to go outside in the elements to turn it on!
- Permanently installed – unlike portable generators, you don’t have to lug this generator around every time you need it.
- Run-on natural gas or propane – unlike portable generators, which often require gasoline, whole-house generators can run on natural gas or propane. This means you’ll always have a backup fuel supply available.
- More expensive than portable generators
- Whole-Home generators require professional installation
Pros and Cons to Portable Generators
Portable generators are good for small power needs and can be moved around easily. Can be used at job sites. No professional installation is needed.
- Portable generators can power almost as much as a home standby generator.
- Portable generators are small and more lightweight.
- Portable generators must be refueled often.
- Portable generators may not run all appliances at once.
Reaching out to a professional would be the homeowner’s or business owner’s best option when choosing the right generator for your needs. At Sal’s, we have a team of experts who can help you decide which generator is best for your home or business. We also offer installation and maintenance on generators to ensure it is ready when you need them most. Give us a call today to learn more!